Back when i tried all that fancy stuff on my 5501, i also ran into all
sorts of trouble...

so i limited the involved functions;
i did not seed the base installer from my own httpd...
i did not use the ks.cfg...(unattended install)
i adjusted to only use 9600 baud rate all over

i just setup a dhcpd/tftpd that could send pxelinux, along with
minimal set that could boot the machine, and give me a prompt/menu on
the serial, and have network access.

and having some USB sticks not working on the 6601 has been mentioned
alot, i believe ?

another way that seems to do the trick, almost every time, is to take
out whatever that is suppose to be storing the OS, and dd an image
onto, and put it back in.
now, this could be a problem if you dont have the same connecting
interface(mSATA on the mPCIE port), but then i would use a disk
temporary, to boot the system and then dd and image on the soekris
itself...