You should also review the FreeBSD handbook. There was a section on serial
consoles. There may be new steps for version 9 that I haven't encountered as
I'm sticking with 8.x for a bit. And you can double check the ones I did
recall.

You could also check the logs on your PXE and TFTP server(s) to see if all the
expected files were requested and transferred successfully.

-Jed