I have a net6501, and updated the firmware to 1.41c.  I have an mSATA
SSD (bought from Soekris), which seems to be recogized.  I am trying to
boot off USB, and have tried

  698G drive - hangs (apparent known issue)

  IDE USB adapator with 111G drive - not recognized by BIOS

  8G thumbdrive - shows up, but booting pauses for a while and just says
  failed:

8G failure:

  81: USB 01                          Xlt -2-32   Mbyte

  > boot 81

  No Boot device available, enter monitor.

  comBIOS Monitor.   Press ? for help.

It takes about 14s from 'boot 81' to the error.  Presumably 80 is the
(emtpy) mSATA drive.

My flash drive contained:

  hand-constructed bootable image, with NetBSD mbr, ffvs1 with
  bootxx_ffsv1, and bits trom installcd filesystem

and then just to make sure, I used

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-6.1/images/NetBSD-6.1-i386-install.img.gz

written uncompressed instead.  Same behavior.

I am using the Soekris-provided 3A power supply.

I will keep trying, and probably also try PXE booting.

Does the boot-from-USB bios code have any particular requirements?