Howdy,
  That was interesting about pxeboot and video cards.  I don't think I
ever tried a pxeboot  install to a machine without video.
  I don't know if your real goal is to do the pxeboot install or to
have DOS running.  If it is to have DOS running, may I suggest a
different route.  I have setup DOS on several old machines, including
some other embedded x86 boxes.  I use  another computer and a USB to
CF adapter.  I boot the computer with the dos diskette and write the
CF card as if it were a hard drive.  Then, I move it to the embedded
device and boot it up.  The biggest problem for me is getting the
TCPIP stack installed and the ethernet drivers.  You can edit the
files on the other computer to do the configuration  But finding DOS
ethernet drivers for the built in NIC is the problem I did not solve
for my boxes.  It is pretty important for DOS on a 4801.  You will
need these driver, no matter how you install.  Do you have them for
the 4801?  I have an unused 4801 I might try, if you have a pointer to
them.  And, I need to find the 4801 after my move.
Good luck,
Ralph