My net6501s (standard case) were running rather hot too, but had no problems. Then when summer came, they even started throttling the CPU because of high temperature. I still didn't have any reliability problems, but it made me nervous.

So I installed the slowest, quietest fan I could find, and added a manual fan-speed control. Even with the fan speed turned down very low, I got much less scary temperatures. Currently under 50°. And there is very little noise, with the fan running slowly. At higher speeds, these little fans do make an annoying whine.

I am assuming that there is no way to control the fan speed with software, which would be a much nicer solution. Am I mistaken? Anyone know?

Cheers,
Lon