On 2015-07-01, Harlan Stenn <har...@everett.org> wrote:

> For a long while I've been gently trying to get FreeBSD/nanobsd built
> for a 4801 and installed on a Sandisk 4G CF card.

Have you considered a standard FreeBSD install?

I'm running FreeBSD 10, as an NTP server, on a net5501 using 2G of
CF.  I originally installed FreeBSD 9.x and keep updating it with
freebsd-update(8).  Even 2G of flash is enough for a standard
install.

The information at http://wiki.soekris.info/Installing_FreeBSD is
to be taken with a grain of salt.  E.g., for the net5501 its
recommendations for a custom kernel include "Add 'options CPU_SOEKRIS'
and 'options CPU_GEODE'".  However, CPU_SOEKRIS only concerns the
net4xxx and CPU_GEODE isn't referenced anywhere in the 10-STABLE
kernel source.

Regarding the net4801, CPU_SOEKRIS and CPU_ELAN_* only appear to
concern the GPIO port, so if you don't hook up anything there, my
best guess is that a standard install with GENERIC should work just
fine.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de