From: soekris-tech-boun...@lists.soekris.com
[mailto:soekris-tech-boun...@lists.soekris.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Sean
Hilton
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 3:09 PM
To: soekris-tech@lists.soekris.com
Subject: [Soekris] Flaky ethernet port on net5501-60

Good afternoon list:

I have a net5501-60 that I pack in my carry on luggage as a hotel router/access
point. The box runs OpenBSD. It's main function is to connect to the hotel wifi
and provide a natted network for all of my electronic gear (ipads, iPhones, a
couple of laptops etc.) It solves the issue I have with my family of limits to
the hotel's wifi when I travel.

The last time I travelled with this thing I noticed that the first ethernet
port: "Eth 0" or vr0, would not see a signal from either of the hotels where I
stayed. I figured that the port went south and since there are three others,
two of which are unused, I wouldn't worry about it.

I hooked it up to my network yesterday and since I didn't know what port it was
on, and I hadn't connected to it over the console port, I tried connecting via
the "dead" vr0 port. Imagine my surprise when that port worked again here at
home.

Has anyone seen something like this before: One port on the box doesn't work in
some locations, but works in others?

I'm curious about the cause of this.

Thanks

-- Chris