On Jun 9, 2016, at 11:01 PM, Andrew Atrens <and...@atrens.ca> wrote:
On 2016-06-09 8:47 PM, Jed Clear wrote:
>> Thanks for the replies so far.  Looks like I’ll have to wait until Saturday
>> to test further. Starting with an L2 bridge seems like a good baseline to
>> try.  Although will probably take the easier step of just NAT w/o rules
>> first.
> At it's most basic, an l2 bridge can be created using -
>
> ifconfig bridge0 create
> ifconfig bridge0 addm vr0 addm vr1 up

Had an interesting time getting this working.  First no “device if_bridge” in
my kernel (and nanobsd set to not install any kernel modules).  Installed a new
kernel and configured the bridge.  But can’t DHCP across the bridge0.  Finally
had to directly attach the laptop to cable modem, let it DHCP and then
reinstall the net5501 bridge.  At that point I was able to download at 83.
While directly connected to do the DHCP, the same test got 90.  But was GbE to
the cable modem.  So I’m thinking 83 is pretty good for 100BASE-T interfaces.

The bridge test didn’t come off until now because I’d forgotten a few real life
things I had to do.  But I did do some more thinking and googling during the
time away.   I don’t think I mentioned that I’m still set up to do NAT with
natd and ipfw divert.  Got to thinking that switching in and out of the kernel
context a few times a packet might not be too good for throughput.  So next I’m
going to see if I can change that over to ipfw kernel NAT.  Don’t even recall
that there was a kernel nat option when I first set this up, many, many moons
ago.  Probably have to add another kernel option….

-Jed