Quoting CS <chaodis852...@gmail.com> on Tue, Oct 11 2016 00:11 UTC-0700:

> Another issue related to the em Intel drivers that FreeBSD luckily will
> resolve soon after escalation from OPNsense's team:
> https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/6823

I ran  into an  issue that  I noticed with  CARP not  failing-over after
upgrading to 2.3.x. Turned out that when I unplugged the Ethernet cable,
the emX interface would remain in the UP state for appr. 80 seconds when
eventually a  watchdog kicked in  and the interface finally  entered the
DOWN state (and CARP did the switch-over).

After staring at the em driver source code diff between FreeBSD versions
9.3  and 10.3,  I got  a bit  suspicious about  the MSI/MSI-X  stuff and
managed to solve the issue with this:

  /boot/loader.conf.local:
        hw.em.enable_msix="0"

Regarding the donation question: I will talk to some people and find out
what's possible.

Cheers,

Edwin