I've used Soekris products for many years and used to have enormous faith in them. I've only got two 6501-70s left in production and will be phasing them out shortly. The one 5501-70 is happily running along but no longer has the needed RAM and CPU to get the job done.

I only deployed a handful of 4801's but was happy with them. I loved the 4501 series and had many of these in production. One was at a client's outside Chicago whose ISP was a WISP that didn't think lightning arresters were necessary. The Ethernet cable from the roof was melted, the case was burned, the board had a hole in it where ETH0, the LAN switch was destroyed because the surge jumped through ETH1 as were two PCs approximately 100' away via Ethernet. Yet the Soekris never went down.

Most installs have been replaced with various SuperMicro systems to get the IPMI functionality. I've been thinking about testing the QOTOM-q190G4-S02 for smaller environments. Until the SuperMicros, it's been years since I've used systems with an actual keyboard.

Lee

Lee F. Johnson III | StormForge Technologies
ljohn...@stormforge.net