On 12/11/06, Colin Whittaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've started using DNS, and it appears that I must specify the FQDN for
> the proxy or registrar, and that the DNS server must have any entry.
> Is there a way to get the sresolv module to use the /etc/hosts file ?
> I've setup nsswitch.conf to use /etc/hosts first:
> hosts:      files dns
> But it doesn't appear to use /etc/hosts at all.

You are right, it does not use /etc/hosts or nsswitch.conf (or /etc/host.conf)

> Also, it appears that it is not using the default domain in the
> /etc/resolve.conf
> Is this true ?

That is correct. The default domain or search domains are only used
with sres_search(). The SIP/SIPS URI are resolved using three-phase
algorithm explained in RFC 3263 and with sres_query() which never uses
search domains.

There are some problems with sres_query(), too (it abandons the search
after the initial absolute query fails).

There are a few open issues with using /etc/hosts or search domains.
At which point we should use /etc/hosts (or gethostbyname())? Should
nua or nta expand a host name in URI to a FQDN before sending it to a
network?

This far we have left these questions unanswered and regarded domain
names in URI as domain names, not host names.

Pekka.Pessi mail at nokia.com