Jerry,
If you are using ethernet as your transport, the maximum ethernet frame
size is 1518. The ethernet header is 18 bytes. So the maximum payload is
1500 bytes. The stack on your system does the correct thing and
fragments your INVITE.

We have also seen issues with SIP servers not supporting fragmented UDP
packets. This is sad since it means they are not using a good IP stack.

You could use compact form headers to shrink you INVITE.
The other alternative is to use TCP for transport, which is stream based.
This was the solution we had to use for the proxy that didn't support IP
fragments.

Colin..