What about using an optical SPDIF-input audio inteface?
Could this type of interface/protocol be used for this?

A lot of sound cards support this type of interface.(mostly only output but
many also input)
There must be IC's available just doing this.

Of course this is not the whole solution, some sort of processing to do some
bit/byte juggling with the data coming from the ADC would be required.
And maybe IP issues?

Just a thought.

Henry.