--- In soft_radio@yahoogroups.com, "drmail377" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All...
>
> I've been thinking about using a Cypress Semiconductor
> (www.cypress.com) serial Programmable Clock Generator (PCG) as a VFO.
> I think the PLL-based design would have much cleaner output compared
> to a DDS. But I have some questions:
>
> Do any of the decent PC programs for SDR control either the Blueberry
> or Peppermint PGC eval boards via USB?
>
> Are the Cypress parts the best solution out there in terms of
> PLL-based PCGs?
>
> It seems Cypress has discontinued the Blueberry evaluation board for
> the CY27EE16 PCG (P/N CY30703).
>
> There is a $20 USD Peppermint eval board available though (P/N
> CY30701). Peppermint is USB capable. Peppermint is based on the
> CY22393 part, which seems fine, SPI programmable, three PLL's, up to
> 200MHz 4X4 crosspoint switch.
>
> Has anyone used the Peppermint board? Are there any disadvantages to
> using the CY22393 instead of the older CY27EE16 that was on the now
> discontinued Blueberry board? The only down-side I can see is minor:
> The older part supported both SPI and I2C serial protocols, the latter
> part does SPI only.
>
> Thanks, David
 Take a look at the Si570.  It is programmable over the I2C bus and goes
as high as 1.4 GHz
with very good noise specs.  There is a group buy going on at
<http://www.softrockradio.org/si570>

  I sell a little board that will hold the Si570 and has a voltage
regulator and a level shifter for
the I2C bus.  Look on my "For_Sale" page.  I have sold over 400 at this
point.  Many of the
people on the SoftRock40 group are using them with the softrocks in place
of the crystal.
There is also software to control it over the PC parallel port.  The
dds_controller group is
working on a program to control it using the Universal Bit Wacker board.

Dave - WB6DHW
<http://wb6dhw.com>