Hi list,

We are dealing with a gigantic piece of environment. The ground has a
texture of about 18,000x18,000 pixels applied to it. We are now in the
process of dividing the entire area up into 200 quadratic segments.
Thankfully, Softimage has allowed me to select all 10,000 objects at once
and dice them up into quadratic segments, which I have then detached. All
is good on that front.

However, we would now like the 18K ground texture to be divided up into
smaller segments as well. Currently all the quadratic cutouts have the same
18K texture applied but only use a fraction of their UV space. I want them
all to use UV space 0 to 1 and have a matching texture.

This is what I tried:
I rendermapped the segments (again I'm glad to be able to rendermap
everything at once) and ticked the Coverage in Alpha checkbox. I can then
use a Photoshop action to select the files' alpha channel, crop down to
that selection and save the file. Then I can apply the new texture to a
segment, delete its old UVs and add a new 0 to 1 projection. This works,
however I end up with seams of about 1 pixel width at the segment edges.
Probably because the alpha coverage is not detailed enough, and Photoshop
then crops incorrectly. The cropped files also have slightly different
image sizes. Or maybe the rendermapping is not accurate enough?

Has anybody ever done something like this? I feel like I'm 90% there, but
those seams are a bit of a problem.