We use macs where I work and upgraded last year, right after Lion came out. Quicktime is just garbage compared to what it used to be and even with the latest updates, the OS is still full of bugs (especially if you use 2 monitors). Maybe with Jobs out of the way things will improve, but I sort of doubt it. Apple tends to "think different" from normal people.

-----Original Message----- From: Tim Leydecker
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:14 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: OT: Windows 8 - anyone?

this makes me think about Apple rumour to let go the dev on the mac pros...

Is this latest news?

The late 2012 MacPros are, umhh, not impressive but apple mgmnt has promised
something really great for next year...

I wonder how much this is a result of Jobs gone (r.i.p.) and Intel not feeling any pressure to make Xeons competitive in terms of price against performance?

The 2008 MacPro´s beat Dell/HP/Lenovo both in terms of price and style and opened a big chunk of market to the MacPro by making them run really nice with windows.

Maybe we don´t need content creation artists using dedicated hardware anymore?

There´s enough cloud apps to instantly create nice images and rights-managed stuff
billed by the click to get rid of pesky artists blocking the retina already?

And there´s always india, china and millions of young, idealistic interns to pull from?

I would also like to have a solid, clutter free workstation without any license/transfer hassle I can use productively for content creation using stable and reliably tools plus betas where
it makes sense.

But maybe I´m old-fashioned and should just wave off (using a gesture involving my middle finger?)

Cheers,

tim