Hey Martin,
I am afraid that the software is not aware of this concept assuming this is
only revealed when drawing into the texture editor viewport.  You can still
deduce it by scripting.  what about this:
  - get the texture projection elements
  - create a bitmap matching the uv space (minmax u for columns, minmax v
for rows, using a precision number to calculate the stepping)
  - iterate over the samples coordinates using their rounded (using the
precision number) u and v values as indices of the bitmap
  - if the bit is already positive, it means the sample is overlapping
  - from the samples, retrieve the geometry components
its should be quite efficient (compared to some bbox collision systems) and
straightforward in python to write.
-- jo