Hey Julian,

a few minutes ago I had a look at your scene. Great setup for the null. Easy and fast! Thanks for that.

Andreas

On 6/16/2013 6:27 PM, Julian Johnson wrote:
Not sure how helpful this is but it shows how to drive the kinematics of a 'Follower' null with a spring constraint acting on its ICE Kinematics. It requires a simulated tree. I don't think there's any way of producing the same effect without simulation. With only a modeling stack you only have access to the current frame's data. To use just press play and drag the 'Master' null around. You can play with damping, mass and stiffness.

There's also an example of a projectile simulation (using the standard particle system and Simulate Particles) compared with a Null which has it's kinematics driven by a hand-built 'simulate' compound using a basic Euler integration technique (the same one, I think, they use in the built-in compound). All the concepts are directly transferable e.g. in this example both systems use the built in Gravity force and it works in the same way.

Scene (2013 SP1) here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69741069/jj_spring_null_euler.rar

Julian

--

ANDREAS BÖINGHOFF

3D Artist

schönheitsfarm production

GmbH & Co. KG

schönheitsfarm

hamburg

  lippmannstrasse 79

  22769 hamburg

  t   +4940 432 91 200

  f   +4940 432 91 222

schönheitsfarm

düsseldorf

  steinstraße 11

  40212 düsseldorf

  t   +49211 913 701 0

  f   +49211 913 701 99

schönheitsfarm

frankfurt

  hanauer landstrasse 151-153

  60314 frankfurt

  t   +4969 484 484 90

  w www.s-farm.de <http://www.s-farm.de/>

Geschäftsführung Manfred Brunwey

DE 214892548 | Amtsgericht Hamburg HRA 95793