*>> What's really nice is the procedural texture support in realtime (at
least I'm under the impression it's not only render time) in the viewport
though, not sure if that's possible with SI atm.*

That's easier than the voxels actually.

Set a texturemap on the object then "Get Closest Location" -> InputLocation
on "Get Texture Map Color" (set to Input Location mode) -> Set Particle
Color. Piece of cake!