...He didn't just do the skin but also the functional design of the user interface, right? I was always under the impression that he was the designer behind the UI. Am i wrong about this?

I always have a hard time explaining people that i do interface design - and that sometimes includes (but is entirely not about) button painting ;) I couldn't care less about the (admittedly beautiful) skin of Softimage - but the UI... oh boy, that's (for the largest part) a piece of true art.

Cheers!
Chris