Just thinking out loud or rather in typing - I would try the following -

Use a base rest shape and the new shape and calculate the offsets based on that.  Then in an ICE tree after the cache node add that offset back each frame.  If you want to send over the meshes and a couple of cache frames I will have a look see if I can figure it out?

Cheers

S.