Softimage does have a preference for logging to a text file, but that text file
is not accessible while Softimage is running.  The only way to get access to
the log contents is to exit softimage and wait for the log to be released.

One problem is the text file is reused between sessions of Softimage.  If you
exit the application, then restart, Softimage overwrites the file with the
output from the new session - again remaining not accessible until Softimage
exits.  If the artist forgets to copy the log between sessions of Softimage
(almost a given), the data is lost.

A 2nd problem with the text file preference is it does not take effect until
the next session.  Originally I tried driving the value of that parameter via
the siOnStartup event, but the specified filename wouldn't become the official
log until the current session was terminated and the application restarted.  If
we could get a live switch, that would be useful for this purpose.

What I need is a quick dump of the script log contents so it can be attached to
a bug report for our custom tools.  The bugs aren't necessarily for crashes,
but to help troubleshoot when tools don't do what is expected and we need the
log to trace what the user has done leading up the problem.  It's handy that
Softimage provides the current line number in the log, which we can record as a
start point when the tool is launched so we only grab relevant output, but the
fact we cannot get all the following lines is a problem.  Some tools generate
massive amounts of information in their debug output, it would be nice to cull
some of that down so people troubleshooting the reported issues aren't
overwhelmed with noise.  We can do that by prepending the beginning each line
of output with a keyword, then let the dump tool cull out all lines that do not
contain the keyword, for example.  But to do that requires we get access to the
log contents beyond the current line.

Matt