Heya Nick
Seems that we are on parallell paths. Also looking into this. The solution
I'm working at the moment is to use Gear > Animation > Edit Mirroring
Template.
http://prntscr.com/2vrpoc

After that you just need to go to Gear > Animation > Mirror Pose or Mirror
Animation and it will apply the selected objects transforms to the one in
the rules. Pos X and Rot Y will need to be inverted.

Only thing I'm still looking at is to have the template being generated
automatically. Someone told me it does, but when I select two controls with
L and R in the mix, the rules just point to _self and not the pair.

When you look at this it looks like very nice :)
https://vimeo.com/71429800 but
apparently not shared.

Cheers
Pedro Alpiarça dos Santos