In Maya, file referencing is handled via namespace: nodes are prefixed with a colon indicating their namespace.

For example, a node with parentNamespace:nodeName indicates that it belongs to the parentNamespace namespace. There is no concept of encapsulation like XSI's Model system. This is both good and bad. Good because it lets you make a lot of edits to references that would otherwise have been impossible in XSI (re-parenting rigs' hierarchy etc. and having those changes not break the rig). Bad because...you never know when a change WILL break stuff due to Maya not being able to reconcile your edits. (It's a little complicated, so I would advise reading up on referenceEdits and the fosterParent node in Maya.)

Edits made to references are stored in a referenceEdit node and connected to them whenever the scene is loaded. They are equivalent to XSI's Deltas, but have their own quirks to deal with...

Maya does not support UNC file paths afaik. Instead, if you open any .ma file with references, you will see things like:

file -rdi 1 -ns "shark" -rfn "rig_shark_proxyRN" "C:/Users/j.zoepfl/Desktop/goochy/production/maya/goochyMayaProject//scenes/rigs/rig_shark.ma";

the double slash before //scenes will tell Maya to use the currently defined project location to replace everything before it. This is a crucial detail when you send your scenes to renderfarms/run scripts/all sorts of things, really. It's a little annoying how the namespace system works, but as long as you're aware of it, you should be fine.

While it is possible, I would not do references-within-references. They are extremely prone to having problems with re-connecting referenceEdits, in my experience, especially with regards to animation. I still haven't figured out why...

Scene Assemblies, however, are a fairly recent addition, being only added to 2013 SAP1 and onwards. As such, they are not as widely used in pipelines (including my current project, as I mandated that we use 2013 SP2. Welcome to fragmentation between versions ;) ) However, they provide a quick and cheap way to handle a lot of references and their LOD modes in your viewport, if you don't have a TD on hand to make an alternative control to handle proxies for your referenced models. They still use the same reference system underlying concept, however, so you should be fully aware of how that works before you use SA features.

Obviously I will not pretend that this is the workflow used in all studios (as far as I'm aware most game studios just use maya references and nothing else) but maybe someone in more complicated projects can help correct me, I'm always curious as to how pros do it as well. :D

Sorry for the long post! Tried to summarize what I've found best workflow so far!

Yours sincerely,
Siew Yi Liang