Blender has a next gen performance level. It opens up in half a sec and has
no trouble running a full featured character at frame rates we couldn't
imagine with a single envelope operator in any old fashionned classic dccs.

It can load scenes 10x faster than xsi or maya.

It has very powerfull rigging and animation tools. NLA workflow is
incredibly simple. Any animator could use it without any TD assitance to
store clips etc.

The SDK accessibility of each object is the most straight forward approach
I've ever seeen. Just switch your outliner to "Datablocks" mode and you'll
have a scripting access overlay display on each single object you drag your
mouse over.. Beautiful.

The interface is very smart when as soon as you set your preferences to
select with LMB instead of RMB.
At the beginning I started buidling and saving custom layouts and quickly
figured out that it was completely useless. As the interface layout is
being saved with the current workspace ( each .blend file can contain
serveral scenes ) it's designed to be part of the workflow. Splitting and
merging views is actually so easy that the software layout blends smoothly
in your workflow.
When you open a scene it comes with an interface layout that's part of the
working context.

Referencing is incredible. You do that using file>link. When I first double
clicked on the .blend I wanted as a reference, it opened a list of contents
within the file opener window to let me chose what part of it I wanted to
link on. Which means that you can have an asset shading scene with several
lights and cameras where you just pick up the materials you need. Of
course, this kind of referencing needs attention but I beleive that's the
way to go.

Here's actually what bothers me the most about blender though:

- A non negociable Z up axis instead of Y. Makes it very difficult to
integrate within any existing pipeline. Every character you import would
lie on the ground. Ridiculous. Z up is for CAD, animation uses Z for depth.
This Z up issue is what keeps blender out of most studios that have an eye
on it. I talked to Ton Roosendaal at siggraph 2012 about what feels to me
like a gravel blocking the whole river and his laconic answer made me guess
he and the foundation had no special will to adapt in order to get in the
mainstream market. It's opensource though, so may be there's a way to get
around this.
- A kinematic engine that I still haven't figured out. I may have missed
something but I could never rely on actual transforms values.It seems that
the values displayed in the transforms channels are actually offsets and
not local transforms but I still have trouble understanding where these
offsets comes from. I would really appreciate any hint about this.

Compared to maya, the list is microscopic...