I guess what I try to say is:

You want the Artists because the Artists are the only
ones in the whole DCC pipeline that actually have to
commit to anything.

First and foremost, investing life time to learn the tools.

Everybody else is tempted to strive to NOT commit.

Opening licensing down to convenient rental modes and
a stronger feeling of "being in control" of sofware usage
actually enables everybody else but the Artists to commit
even less - as a decision can be postponed or reversed easier than before.

That´s a bad thing.

It means a general, more long-term commitment can be reduced without
consequences.

The result will be more pressure and less revenue.

Cheers,

tim