But yea, I would stick with mayaBatch. It doesn't actually launch the UI to render, so it's essentially for all intents and purposes the same as going through Mayatomr...but without the hassle of dealing with exporting to .mi files as well. I'm not a true render wrangler, so if anyone else has anything to add (why the hell is .mi export so slow, for instance :P ), I'd love to be corrected on this!

Yours sincerely,
Siew Yi Liang

On 4/14/2014 2:05 PM, Matt Lind wrote:

The standalone is much more efficient than when run from a 3D application. This does translate to noticeable performance differences. Each 3D app exposes a different subset of mental ray’s capabilities – there are some useful features for job control that aren’t available from the GUI, for example. Your ability to render will be constrained by the number of 3D licenses you have available and installed. Render licenses usually cost significantly less than 3D licenses which should allow you to expand your render capabilities to keep your user workstations free and uncluttered – which is valuable at the end of each course when students are rushing to get their projects done. If you’re worried about students pushing the wrong buttons to screw things up, you can make a simple scripted GUI to launch the standalone with the desired flags, or use something like royal render which his very cost effective.

With regards to #2, the same translation happens whether you use the standalone or the GUI. When you run the render from the GUI, it competes for memory and resources with the 3D application. Less of an issue now that everything is running 64 bit raising the ceiling on your resources, but the problem is still there if your computers are not well equipped. You’ll likely want to dump logs to track what the renderer is doing to track jobs and troubleshoot when things go wrong. If you render from the GUI that means that information is only available in the softimage script log (or Maya). If softimage crashes or is restarted, you’ve lost your logs. The process of logging in softimage takes longer compared to writing directly to STDOUT from a shell using the standalone, and can direct output to a centralized location so all your applications feed the same pool of logs which can be inspected/managed by the renderfarm manager.

Rendering from the GUI may be less hassle to activate, but it will render slower, be more difficult to troubleshoot when things go wrong, and be constrained by the number of workstations you have available.

Matt

*From:*softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com [mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] *On Behalf Of *Sven Constable
*Sent:* Monday, April 14, 2014 1:15 PM
*To:* softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
*Subject:* RE: Mental Ray Standalone

Hi Angus,

I never touched the MR standalone route in depth, because of two things:

1. It needs extra standalone- licenses. And therefore will cost probably more than a few RR licences (I don't know if there are educational versions for MR standalone, however)

2. The export takes a decent amount of time and disk storage, depending on the scenes complexity (one file per frame and in general not very comfortable nor even idiot save ;). And students are lazy people right? Making every fuckup possible with sending their scenes).

Regarding the five batch render licences that comes with every Softimage seat and the ability to use also satellite rendering within the farm (the bugs with satellite rendering were fixed by mental images several versions back), seems to me as a smarter route than using standalone MR. Getting satellite rendering to work with Royalrender is not supported out of the box but doable. I had a talk with Holger Schoenberger a while ago when I set up a farm using satellite rendering. http://www.binaryalchemy.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2291 That was more about security issues and to have it fully automated inside the production pipeline. But maybe useful.

As mentioned, I have not really any experiences in using standalone MR in production because I dropped it to the reasons stated above.

sven