From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com [mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Tim Crowson
Sent: 04 June 2014 16:35
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Shameless plug

Way to go Matt! Hat's off to you and the rest of the team!
-Tim

On 6/4/2014 9:39 AM, Chris Johnson wrote:
Looks Amazing!
Can't believe you've been working on just this since Barnyard!!! It shows.

Congratulations!

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Matt Lind <ml...@carbinestudios.com> wrote:

I don’t get to say this often, but I’ve finished a project using Softimage which all can see. Well, it’s not actually ‘finished’ as it’s >>>an online game which is continuously maintained, updated, and ongoing, but it’s now live and I can talk about it beyond >>>generalizations. Yay! My last completed project was my previous production –Barnyard the animated feature back in 2006. It’s >>>been a long time coming, a relief, and refreshing to be able to refer to something I did in the current decade.

Wildstar officially launched last Friday night at midnight for early access, but opened up the flood gates today for everybody >>>else. The game is now running smoothly in North America and Europe for all to see and experience. If you were part of the beta, >>>let it be known significant improvements have been made since on all fronts. If you haven’t tried the game yet, point your >>>browser to www.wildstar-online.com and click on the shiny buttons. The first 30 days are free with initial purchase.

Production started in 2005 using Softimage XSI v3.5 and launched with Softimage 2013 SP1 – all of it in 32 bit land. Majority of >>>the content created in Softimage 7.5 which we used for roughly 5 years. Softimage was used for a heavy majority of the 3D >>>artwork including characters, props, environments (other than the ground), buildings, dungeons, and everything inside of them. >>>We didn’t use ICE at all (but not for lack of trying, and we tested heavily), so this is a good example of what the fundamental >>>toolset can do. Heavy use of custom properties, vertex colors, user normals, clusters, envelopes, UV spaces, and hardware (real >>>time) shaders to customize and iterate on our content. What made these simple components really nice is they were general and >>>could be re-targeted for many uses outside of their original intended purpose. Our particles were created and applied in >>>Softimage, but simulated only in engine. The SDK was used to write 500+ tools to assist artists to create their content include >>>tools like ‘mimick’ which is a command similar to GATOR which can transfer attributes, but do so on select subcomponents >>>instead of the entire object, along with other bells and whistles. Often overlooked and understated, but Softimage scaling was >>>incredibly powerful for controlling the squash and stretch scaling of deformers used in our envelopes to animate characters with >>>cartoon whimsy and without ugly shearing often associated with other software. It is used on every asset that moves. >>>Relational views were used to create tools such as a face editor to view and animate faces for our player characters, and adjust >>>face customizations to see how they’d appear in the game as each of our characters have multiple faces and other components >>>which can plug in like a Mr. Potato head doll. It was important to see the various components in context side-by-side for >>>comparison while creating the content so consistency could be maintained. This was achieved using many ‘object view’ >>>embedded into the relational view. Under the hood the face editor drove the animation mixer to perform face pose blending so >>>artists could see the animation in real time on their characters. Also, NURBS, that’s right, NURBS surfaces were used to transfer >>>face poses and clothing between characters. The details must remain a trade secret, but I just had to mention we used NURBS in >>>all their unfinished glory to get meaningful work done with significant contributions to the end product. Render passes were >>>used to re-dress environments to allow artists to create geometry once, then swap textures, shader settings, and other details >>>many times for each variant of the environment. Not only does it simplify the artist workflow by centralizing all their interaction >>>to a few clicks, but it also allows assets to be packed into compact files for use in our engine. Render passes are used in housing >>>and dungeons. If we had to do this in Maya, we’d probably have to break up each variant into its own scene and have to figure >>>out a way to merge all the scenes together that shared the same geometry. These polished touches matter. Softimage for the >>>win.

So that said, while many 3D software could create the assets in their own time and space vacuum, Softimage (in my opinion) was >>>the only software that could’ve tackled this project given our specific time, resources, and budget as there were many close calls >>>along the way. I say Softimage because many of the aforementioned features came out of the box with us ready to roll and not >>>have to spend oodles of time reinventing the wheel. Not having to write an animation mixer to do face pose blending, or render >>>pass systems to do texture/shader swaps were incredible time savers and something we could lean on. Spreadsheet queries and >>>custom selection filters allowed us to quickly and easily find our custom data in any scene with just a click, view the data in a >>>clean environment, and change it in bulk, if necessary without worry of missing a spot – highly important for finding and fixing >>>bugs. The elegant user experience was paramount to getting work done on tight schedules at high quality with minimal >>>development resources available. Everybody says that, but in our case it couldn’t be more true. That user experience extends to >>>the SDK as well. Not having to relearn or rewrite code over many versions and upgrades over the span of nearly a decade was >>>quite important in maintaining continuity and stability. The scripting object model was more than a blessing to get under the >>>hood and target only what we needed rather than having to rely on combinations of commands which do more work than >>>necessary or don’t do exactly what we need as is available in most other 3D software. Backward compatibility with the API for C>>>++ development was very important too. While today’s OpenGL/DirectX viewport may seem antiquated, at the time this project >>>started it was ahead of and more capable than any other in the industry, and fully compatible with all the other tools such as >>>render passes. That cannot be overlooked.

Finally, I should thank all the hard work and contributions from the Softimage developers and support, past and present, who >>>put such an application together to make it possible. Not just the foresight to see and understand the artist’s point of view, but >>>also in the continued listening and support when we needed help along the way whether it be to fix bugs, augment existing >>>features, or implement new features to accommodate our needs. Building such an application is more than just writing and >>>compiling code – it’s about understanding people. You cannot understand people without forming relationships and >>>maintaining those relationships over the long haul. Softimage made the effort to establish and maintain those relationships >>>contributing help and advice along the way, and that is why so many successful projects have resulted. As much as I’ve ragged >>>on many points, the bigger picture is not lost on the fact Softimage is a very capable and strong swiss army knife of 3D software >>>to tackle many projects fearlessly. It’s just a shame that in all my years of working with Softimage|XSI, this is only the 2nd long >>>form project I’ve been able to call complete (due to project durations) and will be a shame that there will likely not be a 3rd. One >>>point of satisfaction is of having worked on one of the first XSI projects in ‘Panic Room’, and now finishing one of the last in >>>‘Wildstar’. Both poetically apropos as Panic Room was a project fighting with a then beta-quality release rushed to market full >>>of many bugs while Wildstar is a game about exploring and settling the planet Nexus much like the old west of America’s pioneer >>>days of the 1800’s with wagons, staking claims to territory, gold rushes, and shootouts. Only fitting as I must now look forward >>>to a new destiny in uncharted territory as Softimage has literally been part of half my life in the 21 years I’ve used both >>>Softimage|3D and Softimage|XSI….(and Eddie too!).

Thank you, Softimage.

Matt

Stefan Kubicek
keyvis digital imagery
Alfred Feierfeilstraße 3
A-2380 Perchtoldsdorf bei Wien
Phone: +43/699/12614231
www.keyvis.at ste...@keyvis.at
-- This email and its attachments are --
--confidential and for the recipient only--