Try using Softimage with the Maya interaction mode enabled. It's a reasonable
transition point - using the software you are familiar with but with a
different keymap. Not perfect, but a good start to transitioning

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:04:07 +0900
Subject: Re: Humanize Maya effort alive? or - Effective customization??
From: furik...@gmail.com
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com

First, I hate Maya and I wish I wouldn't have to use it.
But we have to be fair, Maya is getting better, slowly, but getting better.
Well, it was so bad that it couldn't get worse.
The humanize Maya is too slow? Maybe, but you can't say it isn't happening.

You just can't expect the same workflow in a different software. You have to
give Maya's workflow a try before complaining about sticky keys or things like
that. I mean, don't try to use it like Softimage.
Customizable Hot box and marking menus, and the tools marking menus that appear
by combining a key and click are the way to go. Once you get used to it, create
your own custom marking menus and a few hotkeys ( I strongly recommend custom
marking menus ), it isn't that bad. And combining quick slides (you don't need
to wait for the menu to appear) with your mouse/wacom, clicks and hotkeys can
be even faster than using your traditional Softimage hotkeys.
Make sure you get used (at least) to Channel Box, Attribute Editor, Hypergraph,
Node Editor, Outliner and Component Editor, because none of them are equivalent
to Schematic and Explorer.

If you can, a few simple scripts could improve it even more, but that can also
be said about Softimage.
Softimage keyboard layout isn't good either, I find it a little chaotic having
to move my hand all over the keyboard. But we all use different features, so a
little customizing is required to speed up your workflow no matter what you are
using.

I haven't tried yet Maya 2015, but in 2014 MTK doesn't feel very well
integrated, and a little buggy. Like selecting components with MTK and
activating Move would change to MTK move, but since it doesn't work with
objects with deformers you'll have to manually change it to the old move, or
select with the old selection. I found that if you do something to accumulate
history like adding an edge, you can use MTK, I'm not sure yet how safe this is.
I guess they have too much legacy things that have to keep, when it would be
beter to maybe rewrite it, like the MTK and the old tools. Why having similar
tools doing the same ? the shortcuts collapse by combining legacy tools and MTK
tools. It stills feels like using NEX with 2013. BTW, if you have to use 2013
or an older version, do yourself a favor and try NEX.

Martin