It isn't a short script so I won't be able to write everything again for
you. I would do it using an addon I wrote, so If you download and install
my addon, you can use the code below:

addon:
http://skymill.co.jp/tools/Softimage/mCombine/mCombine.xsiaddon

video to see what it does:
http://vimeo.com/78735229

Then select the parents objects and run this script:

// Jscript

// Specify the Merge Tolerance Value
var mergevalue = 0.00001
//-----------------------------------------

var sel = getvalue("selectionlist")
for ( var i=0; i < sel.Count; i++ ) {
var obj = sel(i)
var oChildren = obj.FindChildren2("","polymsh")
var aChildren =[]
for ( var j=0; j < oChildren.Count ; j++ ) {
aChildren.push(oChildren(j))
}
var children = obj.FindChildren("","polymsh")
mCombine( aChildren+","+obj, mergevalue, 1, 1, 0, 0 )
}

Martin