From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Jason S
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:11 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Soft licenses still available for purchase?

Hi Maurice,

Considering that likely quite a few people (very-much including myself) would
like to (legally) have access to the software they have been using for
many-many years without necessarily wanting or needing a licence of Maya or 3DS
Max, (even if using Maya or Max, licenses are typically already supplied by
studios).

Nevertheless, now that we are coming close to the last chance before Feb
deadline, would it be conceivable to have a short window to have Soft only
purchases at what could be considered a fair price for unsupported and
discontinued software?

Because nearly 4k (or the standard price of fully supported/updated software)
is okay (even good) if looking to get Maya anyways,
but for probably the majority of people thinking of buying the bundle just to
get Soft,
I think it can be understandable how that price can be considered
unrealistically or otherwise extraordinarily high.

Perhaps not unlike how DS Studios were asking for an opportunity to upgrade
without paying the price of fully supported and developped software, except in
our case, most Softimage users didn't have licenses themselves.
[cid:image001.gif@01D0EFC1.F5747100]joeydanna:

I just think its absurd for avid to ask full price for the upgrade, especially
when it will only be available until the end of september.

My plan was to upgrade next year. I can't really afford to right now. So
basically my options are stay on 10.3 forever, or pay full price for an upgrade
on a dead product, and do it much sooner then i was originally planning to.

Honestly - all i really want is the upgrade to windows 7. $5,000 is a hard pill
to swallow for that. It was worth it for the upgrade when the system was still
being developed, and staying current mattered. $5k to upgrade a dead-end
system, that will no matter what eventually have to be retired just isn't worth
it.

Avid: *please* think about discounting or comping 10.x owners for the 11
upgrade.

If i can move to V11, i will almost certainly be maintaining and upgrading
media composer on the system in the future.

You would absolutely be keeping a long time customer, and I know i'm not the
only one out there.

____________________________

Exactly the same here!

We've got 2 DS 10.2 workstations. The main reason I'd like to upgrade now is
the win7 (x64) official support. As a faithful Avid customer we already
upgraded 2 times our 2 DS workstations in 5 years (including full hardware
upgrade).

Since Avid DS EOL, I'm wondering if Avid will offer or at least discount the
10.x to 11.1 update?

___________________

Re: DS 11 cost?

Marianna<http://community.avid.com/members/Marianna/default.aspx> Avid
Community Administrator

Anyone interested in DS 10 to 11, ping me on email.  The cost is less than you
think and comes with support :)

Happy to get you to the right person - so let me know your region.

Marianna

So if a Soft only discount price would be possible (for say users on this list
and on SI-Community?) ,
I'm quite positive that many people (including myself) would be quite greatful
for an opportunity to (legally) continue using the software they have grown to
love over the years and that has marked their careers.

In any event, thanks very much for your consideration,
Jason