I posted this a while back and caused a bit of a stir. A friend of mine has
spent years in blender. Mostly modeling and using it for retopo work.
Apparently lots of other great features. He's spent a lot of time
customizing the ui for it to work better. He updates it regular ly with
each new release. I could get you a link to his build if your interested.

Another nice thing about blender is you can launch it from anywhere...no
install necessary.