Regarding rendering in Houdini.

Currently, in H15 (15.0303) I´m finding UDIM support a bit limited, f.e. for all those cases where one would want to do adjustment stuff to a texture put inside a Cop2net and then pointing to that in a map slot.

op:obj/cop2net/OUT

The limitiation is that the file import available inside a cop2net dosn´t provide UDIM extension resolving, the workaround would be to do the adjustments to the UDIMS as if it was a sequence (e.g. 1001, 1002, etc)
and then write the results out to file and link those as maps instead.

That´s an extra step that could be seen desireable anyway, depending on where the hand-off line for assets is drawn between people/pipeline but still, I would prefer to be able to keep the adjustments live and quickly accessible directly from a map input slot, understood at a glance. A personal preference I guess and not yet
checked against caveats in dependencies for a packaged/exported asset.

All that´s obviously inspired by one of Rohan Dahlvi´s Houdini tutorials (he´s using that for editing an Hdr for lighting).

--

For general rendering, Mantra really feels like a brother from a different mother compared to Arnold.

Same quirks when it comes to finding out how Normalmaps are interpreted, colorspace/tonemapping guesswork needed when driving stuff like the roughness and even similar types of rendering artifacts. Indirect bounce noise, gloss/reflect firelies, etc.

One example is driving a roughness in a material with a texture that hasn´t been clamped a little bit. It´s easy enough to create fireflies with (ultra)blacks in that texture and end up trying to sample that away in rendering. Couple that with DOF and you find yourself using insane levels of pixel samples and noise threshold to get rid of those fireflies. Won´t work, check your roughness values, clamp to 0-1 (or 0.1-0.8) and find that you can save hours of render time...

Like I said, it feels just like Arnold, the same user, the same problems :-)

Cheers,

tim