USD != Alembic.

USD = Universal Scene Description. It's a format to describe a scene and
what assets, versions, etc to be included in a scene. Also different takes
/ passes etc. Also it has ways of having overrides on practically any
parameter of the scene.

In a USD you can reference Alembic Files I believe. :)

http://graphics.pixar.com/usd/

https://vimeo.com/75372056

Eric Thivierge
http://www.ethivierge.com