You can have CMYK images in 16 or 32 too, but if your sources are 8 bit, it can be fine if there aren't too wide gradients or making wild corrects.

But here's what seems to work,

converting from CMYK -> Lab Color  seems to keep all levels as they were,
and then from Lab Color -> to RGB  ... also seems to keep all levels as they were!

(It might be best to convert to 16bit (if they were in 8) before doing so.)

Cheers,