.pic is, I think, a deprecated "picture" filetype in Mac-OS-world. So
Quicktime or Preview thinks it should be able to open it but fails. There
once was a Quicktime 7 extension someone made for .pic maybe, but I doubt
it's supported now.

to avoid confusion, everyone I know sends jpegs, or if image quality is
critical, .png or .tiff. If the client is super Web-centric, maybe .gif

Of course, your client may be reviewing and making grading decisions about
your 4K image on a smartphone in direct sunlight in a moving vehicle...

have you checked rray.de/xsi/ ?