Hi sorry if double-posting but I didnt see it show up, (also more links at the end)

from Em-Tools Compound Descriptions ;
(any of these may be useful, but check especially the marked link.)

Vertex Islands

Initialize Island Data

Initializes the vertex island data.
An example on how to use this compound can be found here:
emTopolizer 1.00 Tutorial 03 - Vertex Islands

Create Particles from Island Centers

Creates one particle for each island center.
An example on how to use this compound can be found here:
emTopolizer 1.00 Tutorial 03 - Vertex Islands
                                          <--- Check this link,  also @ 5;50  builds a simple tree from scratch

Transform Islands

Transforms the vertex islands.
An example on how to use this compound can be found here:
emTopolizer 1.00 Tutorial 03 - Vertex Islands

Getters

A bunch of compounds to get diverse island related data.
The compounds are self-explanatory.

Also perhaps even yet easier, from MotionTools Doc

Controling Polygons and Polygon Islands

There are some special cases, in Motion Tools, that deviate from the basic setup. We stumble upon such cases when you want to, for example, control polygon islands from a fracture object, or text object. Also, when we want to dice a object into many polygons and control those disconnected elements.

For both this situations you can use the menu “ICE  >  Create  >  Motion Tools  >  Create Instances from Islands” and then choose the option that fits you best, either, “Use Exisiting Polygon Islands”, or, “Dice Polygons into Polygon Islands”.

Both situations will yeld a similiar setup that we can describe this way. Firstly the object in which the Polygon Islands exist (or in which the polygons will be sliced into Polygon Islands) receives a ICETree that looks like this:

  1. The ICETree is created at the uppermost position of the Modeling Stack
  2. In it you will find only one node that geathers info about the geometry
  3. This node works in two ways, it either stores info on your current Polygon Islands, or it makes every polygon a Polygon Island and then stores the information.

The information created by this node then feeds another ICETree that lives in a Pointcloud and resembles a basic Motion Tools setup, with minor differences, as follows:

  1. Points are created solely based on the information provided by the geometry with the “Create Points from Polygon Islands” node
  2. Constraint PolyIslands to Pointcloud will feed the information from your Motion Tools ICETree back to your geomtry, keeping both in sinc. In case you are using simulations, this node should be place in the Post-Simulation area.

MT Clip specific to islands; https://vimeo.com/44039628

General MT use clip;  https://vimeo.com/46425839

MT Islands can also super-easily be simed  (uses RBD with easy trigger-object setup).

Hope that could help, & keep us posted!