From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Sven Constable
Sent: 24 May 2016 22:09
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: RE: Friday Flashback #265

Yes, the batteries won't make it over the decades. However, I turned on one of
the indigos 2 or 3 years ago,  it came to life with the typical startup sound
and it made me chuckle. Doing a demo video on that thing came to my mind, when
we had a discussion on the list about doing a asteroid field the old fashioned
way, without ICE.
I think the hard part would be to demo something that is actually ten times
faster than in a current maya version. SI3D had some freakin fast workflows but
it would be challenging, doing it on a workstation from the mid 90s. Maybe it
will only two times as fast as in maya or max nowadays ;). Hell, even doing it
in the same time would be hilarious. Any ideas whats typically a PITA in maya
or max that would be a no brainer in SI3D?
Remember we had no passes/partition system in SI3D.
I would stay away from NURBS stuff because it's too oldschool.
The scene switcher? Not far away from 3ds max' scene states, except of beeing
invented 15 years earlier.
How about multiped?
Or realtime rope dynamics with IK chains? Yummy!
The spread sheet. Selecting things in a most sophisticated way one can possibly
imagine.
Maybe just basic parenting things (hierarchies) and  animation stuff for day to
day work. That's where Softimage always shines.
Oh wait, I forgot the 'kaboom" effect!

sven