I did wonder whether you could access that point order to build a standin
mesh, before finding out the cage deformer was a much simpler way to go.

Its an old rig built by someone else which uses a lattice enveloped to
nulls to deform a pack, and I've been trying to find a way to paint the
weights on the lattice and smooth them out (pack logo was deforming too
much in places) - using a mesh I could smooth weights and cage deform the
lattice.

www.matinai.com