Found the problem ! at least one of the problems.

I wasn't updating the PPG with PPG.refresh().
I added the refresh command and now, it only shrinks once and goes back to
normal size when using 1 digit numbers.

Strange, but not refreshing the PPG after changing the buttons' labels
causes the progressive shrinking.

In english numbers size don't change at all.

Well at least it is now readable even if it shrinks a little. I can live
with this.

Thanks !

Martin