Sorry if it feels like I am going on circles, I am trying to distill some
important thoughts from this constructive chat.

> On 27 Oct 2017, at 16:59, Jonathan Moore <jonathan.moo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To be clear, I'm happy working with particles in Houdini (although I still
> turn to a Mootzoid powered XSI more regularly than Houdini). I'm speaking for
> the artists I support.
>
> Jordi, even those nodes you list require knowledge of local variables and VEX
> Expressions if

That is the key word... “IF"

> you want finer control over the the default behaviour (and what creative
> worth their salt doesn't want to go beyond the default behaviours).

Wouldn’t the finer control in any other package also imply you need to get a
bit deeper and learn the idiosyncrasies of the tool?

For example, in Softimage you have to accept you have to dive into ICE and you
will surely have to understand all the variables exposed along with the
“vocabulary” of nodes ICE provides which is not trivial.

In a way, the more freedom you demand, the more knowledge the software demands
from you and that is unescapable. It is only thanks to Mootozoid awesome tools
that you don’t need to dive into flocking in Softimage.

My 2 cents on a Friday

Jb