I distinctly remember looking at cityscape scenes in XSI a number of years
ago when another user had similar problems.

If memory serves, the geometry is horribly corrupt and each material was
duplicated per polygon or polygon cluster.  There were winged edges with
more than 3 polygons sharing the same edge, normals facing both ways on the
same polygon, etc.  Not at all surprised you're having problems.

Although editing the geometry in XSI induced a lot of crashes, it was
necessary to fix the problem.  Also removing the userNormals property helped
with shading issues.  Finally, performing a delete unused materials combined
with a simple script to merge/consolidate redundant materials cleaned up the
rest.

Since you're doing it all in Maya, I suspect you have the same problems.
First check the geometry for user normals, or whatever Maya's equivalent is.
If they exist, remove them.  That should remove most of the problems.  Then
go into the geometry and unshare those winged edges and leave them as
discrete polygons.  That shouldn't have any negative affect on the rendered
result.  Finally, write a script to scan all the objects to see which shader
nodes they're using and do a 'diff' between them as the shaders are likely
duplicate copies.  Once you find a duplicate, unshare it and replace it with
the original copy.

A lot of elbow grease, but should fix the problems in the end.

Matt