Dear Naoki,

> However, in my honest opinion, I am confused a little about target
> technology in softwire.

Well, me too. This is why I am trying very hard lately to understand
things first.

> SA46T and SA46T-AS is just a tunneling technology.
>
> The other side, in my understanding, DS-Lite and 4rd is combination
> technology of tunneling and NAT.

For DS-Lite, I agree. However, for 4rd NAT is not necessary. As 4rd
draft says:

"Although 4rd is designed primarily to support IPv4 deployment to a
customer site (such as a residential home network) by an SP, it can
equally be applied to an individual host acting as a CE router."

So if you have a host, acting as a CE router, supporting 4rd technology,
you don't need NAPT44 in it. So in this regard, it is completely the
same as SA46T-AS. At least this is how I understand it.

> In my understanding, DS-Lite is CGN + Tunneling combination, so CGN +
> SA46T combination may possible. I think this combination may say DS-Lite.

I wouldn't use DS-Lite in any other context, since it is now an
independent Proposed Standard. It is as it is. The tunneling there is
clearly specified.

> To similar, 4rd make NAT in CPE assumption. I don't understand 4rd is
> just tunneling function, or combination with CPE NAT. In the standing
> point of SA46T-AS, as you point out, SA46T-AS + CPE NAT combination may
> possible.

See above.

> Both DS-Lite and 4rd is the combination technology for access network.
> However, I also have interests to apply SA46T-AS to the server environment.

Well, not necessarily, why? It's just a technology, I can't see why you
couldn't use it in an enterprise as well?

> I think your trade-off analysis is very important. If adding
> SA46T/SA46T-AS technology to your analysis table, I think "DS-Lite +
> SA46T" and "SA46T-AS + CPE NAT" is appropriate.

Well, I don't agree with DS-Lite + SA46T, I would rather make it
"SA46T + CGN". However, since your SA46T-AS already is an address sharing
solution and it mentions NAT in one of the scenarios (in the draft), I don't
think it needs to be combined with anything. So in the end, we have (regarding
SA46T):

- SA46T (tunneling only)
- SA46T+CGN (NAPT44 placed in the core)
- SA46T-AS (directly implemented in the host or NAPT44 placed in the CPE)

Do you agree?

Nejc