De : Maoke [mailto:fib...@gmail.com]
Envoyé : mercredi 7 septembre 2011 15:43
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed OLNC/NAD/TIP
Objet : Re: [Softwires] Requirements for extending IPv6 addresses with port
range (draft-boucadair-softwire-stateless-rfc6052-update)

hi all,

i'd like to commet on the interesting question after REQ#5 "Do we allow the
support of multiple algorithms?".

my answer is NO. intuitively, it sounds ok if we allow multiple algorithms, as
long as the algorithm type is also encoded in the IPv4-embedded IPv6 address
together with the port index. however, it is only applied for the case of
translating an IPv4-embedded IPv6 address to IPv4. for the reverse direction,
the algorithm selection might be randomly decided by the translator devices.
inconsistency of port indexing algorithm violates the end-to-end transparency.
coordinating algorithm selection is possible but it might must costs.
[Med] I see your point and it makes sense to me. There is also an underlying
question we wanted to discuss: is it acceptable for the WG to specify several
algorithms (see for instance RFC6056) but only one algorithm MUST be enabled in
a network.

btw, it looks the reference on port indexing algorithm analysis should be
...-bsd-... rather than ...-boucadair-... ;-)
[Med] Fixed. Thanks.

best,
maoke

2011/9/7
<mohamed.boucad...@orange-ftgroup.com<mailto:mohamed.boucad...@orange-ftgroup.com>>
Dear all,

We submitted a new I-D identifying the requirements to be met when designing
the format of IPv4-embedded IPv6 addresses/prefixes enclosing the port
information. The first list of requirements is available at:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-softwire-stateless-rfc6052-update-00#section-3

Contributions, comments and suggestions on the requirements section are
encouraged.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Med