I set the default encoding to everything under solr for UTF-8 via .htaccess

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

I see it correctly after clearing my browser cache (reload alone doesn't do it).

It's still a hack IMO, since it doesn't really allow documents with
different charsets to coexist.

May want to add that to lucene.apache.org if we ever want anything
outside ASCII on those sites.

-Yonik