On 1/22/07, Erik Hatcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

...I don't know much about our Solaris zone, so could someone fill me in
on it a bit?...

I haven't seen Solr's zone yet, but basically zones are Solaris
(virtual) machines where some of us can get root access, so we can
install anything there as long as it plays nice with other zones in
terms of CPU and memory usage. Currently all of the ASF's zones are
sharing a - fairly powerful - physical machine.

For example, the Cocoon zone at http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/ runs
live demos of Cocoon pulled automatically out of SVN every few hours
by crontab scripts, the Continuum continuous integration server, and
the Daisy CMS for editing docs.

There's more info at http://www.apache.org/dev/solaris-zones.html

HTH,
-Bertrand