: > How do the rest of you feel?  I volunteer to tidy up the code, if
: > others agree with following Lucene's formating.  I believe Nutch and
: > Hadoop already follow it.
:
: Solr already has a policy that is the same as Lucene.
: I'm fine with cleanups... just try to avoid breaking patches in JIRA.

Once upon a time i thought the idea of cleaning up the formatting of code
in commits that *only* changed formatting was a good idea ... but even if
hte message is clear that it's just a formatting commit, it still creates
noise, makes some patches harder to apply, and moves line numbers arround
reducing the number of situations where you can make educated guessees
about what went wrongwhen looking at a stack trace from someone without
knowing exactly which version they were using.

I'd certianly prefer if all new code and new changes met teh style
guidelines we have setup -- tidying up the lines that are being changed
anyway as part of the commit, but frankly i'd just as soon leave code that
works but isn't super pretty well enough alone.

-Hoss