On 11/2/07, Tim Archambault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ...I am currently trying SOLR out off of my dedicated Windows server (IIS 5)
> with Jetty.  My server has 2GB Ram and tons of space. What is the likelyhood
> that this environment is "good enough" for my production environment?...

FWIW, http://tsrvideo.ch/ (a video browser backed by a Solr index)
runs on a mid-range 2006 Intel server (don't have the exact setup
here, probably a dual Xeon 2GHz, 4GB RAM), with Linux + Apache httpd,
and is coping very well with about 1.5 million Solr queries a month on
average.

BTW, I just had a look and the Solr instance there has been up since
July 11th, not bad!

I'd suggest estimating your peak load and running stress tests with
something like ab (the httpd utility), JMeter or httpstone [1] to find
out what happens to your index under peak load. You might use your
current bandwidth stats to estimate how big your peaks are compared to
the average load.

-Bertrand

[1] http://code.google.com/p/httpstone/source (some assembly required,
that's a very simple java-based HTTP stress-test framework that I
wrote)