Dear committers,
I understand why Solr2 will use Spring at least to ease the configuration
burden wrt plugins & various factories.
There is another set of useful configuration features orthogonal to those,
the ones that make integrating/deploying/using Solr in easier ways; these
could be injected in Solr as soon as the 1.3+1 version without harming 2.0
or that 2.0/Spring by itself won't solve.
Allow me three examples.

The first is the (dreaded) "include" feature (aka solr-646) which is the
equivalent of the Spring "import" in XML configurations. Since there is an
equivalent technical feature in Spring that guarantees that it will be
possible to re-implement at no cost, could that be included (no pun
intended) in the 1.3+1 release ?

The second one is about "solr.xml" and properties; there does not seem to be
a ready-made equivalent in Spring XML configuration. Assuming there will be
a degree of upwards compatibility between 1.x and 2.0, some code will be
needed to re-implement the feature (for instance, exploiting properties in
solrconfig.xml). Or there won't be compatibility in that area and we should
not care.
In any case, persistence of "solr.xml" would be a nicer citizen if it were
to keep property expressions rather than writing values (part of solr-646).
Or having other ways to define "system" properties (like using a property
file to declare installation-wide values -hosts,root directories,etc-) could
still be beneficial to configuration without impeding 2.0.

Finally, the multicore (solr-725) pack; is there anything in having the
multicore feature-set finished that would be potentially harmful to the
project future? The feature set has been maturing for 18 months now, it
would be nice to reach closure.

I'm just trying to get from the *committers* a sense of whether it still
makes sense (if it does or ever did) to contribute around those
integration/deployment features or if there is no foreseeable interest on
their end - thus no hope for a commit in a 1.3+1 ? I'd rather become lucid
than imagine usefulness in such contribution.
Best regards,
Henri.