Digging in a little more...  this is triggered by a custom search
component that takes some parameters and adds a custom filter to the
mix.

In the component prepare() function, it checks if the there is a sort
defined, if not it defaults to something:

        SortSpec sortSpec = builder.getSortSpec();
        if( sortSpec.getSort() == null ) {
          sortSpec.setSort( new Sort( new SortField[] {
              new SortField( "afield", true )
          }));
        }

If I comment this out, I do not get the error (not surprising)

However, if I add the sort field to the original query it works without problem.

Perhaps there has been some changen that now requires me to do something else?

Any ideas?

thanks
ryan